[conspire] NTFS Resizing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 24 11:00:59 PST 2003

Quoting Nick Jennings (nkj at namodn.com):

> Speaking of Mandrake, is anyone running it right now? I've installed it at
> work to replace my FreeBSD 4.7 system because I need Wine to work properly
> and would like to use browser plugins etc. without bothering with linux
> emulation (which worked fine, but the mozilla versions were a bit dated,
> and the performance was slugish compared to the native mozilla build).

I haven't installed Mandrake in a while (will attempt to get the 9.1 RC1
ISOs soon), but your mentioning WINE setup reminds me about a different
option you might consider:  Knoppix.

If you've heard about Knoppix at all, you probably know it as a very
full-featured desktop distribution packaged as a "demo" CD.  I.e.,
people can get full use out of it (on i386 PCs) without disturbing their
hard drive contents.

What you might not know about is the included optional script to install
Knoppix to one's hard drive.  I've tried that out, the last two
weekends, and it works great.  (The XFS installation option appears
buggy, but ext2/ext3 and ReiserFS works fine.)  As always with Knoppix,
hardware recognition is top-notch, and WINE is among the many things
that install already set up and working.

http://www.knoppix.org/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/debian-knoppix
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/debian-knoppix-faq

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.