[conspire] NTFS Resizing

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 24 11:36:13 PST 2003

Quoting Nick Jennings (nkj at namodn.com):

[Your work computer:]

> The reason I chose Mandrake is because for me it's the best of both spectrums
> of the Linux world (the spectrum ranging from free and less support
> commercial;y: Debian, Slackware etc. to requiring money to use: Lindows,
> Xandros, and to some extent Lycoris).

I found the hardware autoprobing in Mandrake 9.0 to be really good.  One
CABAL meeting attendee brought a Sony VAIO with a Firewire CD-ROM drive,
and I was very pessimistic about Linux installations via the CD drive,
but Mandrake had no problem with this or any other chipset on the
machine.

> With Mandrake I know Wine and WineX will work good, Codeweavers etc.

Good point.  I seldom have occasion to install non-redistributable
software goodies on Linux, so I tend not to follow this.

Accordingly, I've never really thought about Crossover Wine Preview /
Crossover Plugin / Crossover Office for Knoppix/Debian until just now.
But you've motivated me to research it:

o  Codeweavers probably makes those three projects available in RPM
   format only.  _However_, Debian is one of the five tested/supported
   Linux distributions.

o  WINE:  Stable versions are apt-gettable from main archives.  Daily
   WINE-CVS is available in unofficial packages using the following
   sources.list line:

   deb http://people.debian.org/~andreas/debian wine main

> I am very happy with Mandrake too, it "just works" and I don't have to
> fiddle with much in the way of system settings, GUI interfaces for the
> stuff I do have to fiddle with are really nice, especially when I have
> the responsibility of "showing off" Linux to my Windows using peers.

Just a point:  The above is a fair characterisation of Knoppix, too.

rick at linuxmafia.com