[conspire] my old acer laptop

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 5 12:36:38 PST 2003

Quoting Nick Jennings (nkj at namodn.com):

>  Although RAM is important, it's not the only factor. My Libretto 100cts
>  has 32mb of RAM, and the CPU is overclocked to be 200mhz I believe.
>  However X is horribly slow, even compiled from source (I'm running
>  FreeBSD on it), and with evilwm as my windowmanager. Mozilla is a horrid
>  beast... and why else would you run X if not for a web browser?

A Libretto's kind of a special case:  Even more than most laptops, the
Libretto palmtops are designed to keep power draw to a bare minimum.
So, among other things, they use very slow hard drives that are kept
spun down a lot of the time.  If memory serves.

Same thing with that IBM PC110 palmtop series.

--
Cheers,              "The front line of defense against such sophisticated
Rick Moen            viruses is a continually evolving computer operating