[conspire] my old acer laptop

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Sat Feb 8 11:20:25 PST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:22:13PM -0800, Nick Jennings wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> >
> > If the laptop has at least _32 MB_, then I'd say getting X11 going is
> > very worthwhile.  Less than that, maybe, but you won't get tremendous
> > mileage out of it.  Less than 16 MB, don't bother.

>  Although RAM is important, it's not the only factor. My Libretto 100cts
>  has 32mb of RAM, and the CPU is overclocked to be 200mhz I believe.
>  However X is horribly slow, even compiled from source (I'm running
>  FreeBSD on it),

Have you tried telling it to make TinyX instead of the usual pile of
bits?

>  and with evilwm as my windowmanager. Mozilla is a horrid
>  beast...

Dillo.  It may not do SSL nor javastuff but it certainly doesn't waste
space on them, either.

> and why else would you run X if not for a web browser?

I suppose there might be a tiny game or some network tracing tool like
ethereal.

If you want a console-onle system though even 8 MB is acceptable (for
doing one thing at a time) and 32 MB is decent (for comfortable
multi-tasking, or one instance of emacs).

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078