[conspire] my old acer laptop

Nick Jennings nkj at namodn.com
Wed Feb 5 12:22:13 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 12:30:53PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> If the laptop has at least _32 MB_, then I'd say getting X11 going is
> very worthwhile.  Less than that, maybe, but you won't get tremendous
> mileage out of it.  Less than 16 MB, don't bother.

 Although RAM is important, it's not the only factor. My Libretto 100cts
 has 32mb of RAM, and the CPU is overclocked to be 200mhz I believe.
 However X is horribly slow, even compiled from source (I'm running
 FreeBSD on it), and with evilwm as my windowmanager. Mozilla is a horrid
 beast... and why else would you run X if not for a web browser?

 I suppose it is usefull as a glorified console, but only if you really
 need that kind of thing, which it sounds like he doesnt.

- Nick