[sf-lug] On some commandline text editors

Michael Paoli michael.paoli at berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 1 15:49:36 PDT 2024

My favorite, is "of course" vi,
or more specifically in the land of Linux
typically nvi - though for many distros it can be installed/configured
as vi.
Yeah, I find vim quite annoys me:
https://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/linux/vim/vim_annoyances.txt
... though I can certainly do well enough with vim when/as needed.

And for folks looking to learn vi or other vi resources,
may want to peek here:
https://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/unix/vi/

I do also still quite like ed, and occasionally use it.  Similarly ex
(which is actually same program as vi).  Most notably:
ed is very light on resources and requirements,
ed and ex will even run perfectly fine on your hardcopy or truly dumb
terminal or generally if you don't have any proper TERM configuration
set or available at all,
and ed and ex are also very handy for easily self-documenting an edit
session.  E.g. using script(1) to document something, want to document
some edit changes that need to be done, use ed or ex and continue,
all nicely documented.  E.g.:
$ echo foo > file
$ cat file
foo
$ ed file
4
1,$p
foo
1
foo
s/foo/& bar baz/p
foo bar baz
two
three
.
g/two/s/two/2/p
2
20
$ cat file
foo bar baz
2
three
$
And resources:
$ cd /usr/bin && ls -iLno ed emacs ex nvi vi vim | sort -k 5,5bn -k 9,9
312514 -rwxr-xr-x 1 0   55744 Jan 15  2023 ed
312565 -rwxr-xr-x 3 0  472296 Oct 15  2022 ex
312565 -rwxr-xr-x 3 0  472296 Oct 15  2022 nvi
312565 -rwxr-xr-x 3 0  472296 Oct 15  2022 vi
312143 -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 3646968 May  4  2023 vim
313152 -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 6450472 Jun 24 21:54 emacs
$
And that's just the binary itself.
$