[sf-lug] SF-LUG Meeting Sunday 2024-03-03

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 4 18:00:53 PST 2024

Quoting Ronald Barnes (ron at ronaldbarnes.ca):

> It's remarkable that, after all these years, basic etiquette for
> online meetings is ignored here.
>
> Muting oneself when not speaking is a big one.

Hear, hear.

> >* virtual remains: https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org
> >Browser: one will need sufficiently recent version of, e.g.
> >Chromium, Chrome, or possibly Firefox - in any case one that well
> >supports WebRTC as per
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC#Support
>
> It'd also be nice if ½ the meeting wasn't someone dealing with
> technical difficulties performing basic operations like connecting
> with audio and video.

If people seriously haven't gotten the hang of online videoconferencing,
yet, after going through the entire pandemic, OK, fine, but isn't it
common sense to do a trial run in a "scratch" (test) room first, before
trying to participate in public meetings?

As to browser compatibility, the quoted advice is pretty damned weird in
2024, because it's _seriously_ difficult to find any current Web browser
without requisite WebRTC support.

I mean, seriously, now, what's _not_ on that list?  MSIE6?

CABAL's standard instructions for its hybrid meeting on Jitsi Meet cite
a more-relevant page, that of the Jitsi Meet project itself:

---<begin>---

o  Computer w/Web browser.
   https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/user-guide/supported-browsers

   mic w/ speakers/headphones.  Headphones/earbuds
   are recommended because they avert audio feedback loops.

> Should anyone be interested in attending other - related - online
> meetings, there's a list at https://bclug.ca/tech-meetups/

TY.  When I have time, I'll see what is and is not in common between
that and the balug.org/covid list.  (I'll bet you've already done so.)

Nice Nextcloud WebUI presentation!  (The system requirements make that
not my cuppa, but I respect it.  Will be taking a long look at
Radicale.)