[sf-lug] How not to do main storage (waas: Belated writeup of last SF-LUG meeting)

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 20:49:32 PDT 2023

~20 years ago, I had a Western Digital disk in a desktop which would
"freeze up" if not used daily.  Over a weekend of no use, the excessive
oxide on the platters would stick to the heads, and prevent the disk from
spinning.  That error even preceded the POST info, so it was the beep count
that gave the error.  A sharp rap with a pencil eraser was enough to free
up the heads, but WD did honor their warranty and replaced the disk for me.
So Akkana, the problem with WD was older than your 10 year old disks.
Ken