[sf-lug] Red Hat Linux source code brouhaha?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 2 00:36:17 PDT 2023

Quoting Michael Paoli (michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):

> On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 9:05 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> > distributing Joe's code (or derivatives of it) anyway, then Joe can haul
> > that party into civil court on copyright violation tort charges
> > (assuming Joe has registered his copyright with Library of Congress
> > Copyright Office).
>
> Copyright registration isn't required, and a work may be, regardless
> copyrighted (or possibly not).

No, it is not.  I'm sure you notice I never said that it was required.

However, one of the many advantages of registration is gaining the power
to sue for infringement, which act therefore precedes filing a tort
case, if the work wasn't registered before.  More at:
https://www.bfvlaw.com/copyright-registration-required-to-sue-the-supreme-court-clarifies/