[sf-lug] Using Linux with AT&T internet service.

Robert Johnson emailbox6357 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 15:48:44 PDT 2023

Thanks guys, you LUGer's (is that a thing?) are proving to be better than
the "Tech Support" people I keep talking with. Your specificity is very
good. Thank you. I called DSLExtreme and they have service here, but they
would have to drill a hole in the wall. Veto... And I already mentioned
that Sonic was vetoed, unfortunately, for the same reason. Right... When I
spoke to AT&T tech support they said  the installation guy could run the
cable with the existing telephone lines. A solution, good. Then I asked if
I could use my own router with the AT&T service. I got an "I think so.".
Not as much conviction as I had hoped for. Then I asked if Linux could be
used and he told me to hold on for the next tier of tech support. When the
lady got onto the line I received the same light "Yes" on the router
question and on the Linux question I had to spell Ubuntu and Linux twice
for the tech. I was expecting a negative on the answer. She told me to hold
on for a moment and when she got back on the line she told me "Yes". A
solution, good. Then the Landlord/Manager vetoed that because he didn't
want the AT&T tech in the attic running fiber optic cable. I asked him what
would be the issue, and he wouldn't expand. Veto... Then I checked an
option that I didn't know was available. Comcast/Business. I mean, I'm not
a business... Thanks Jim. And they had an inflation fighting option that
would cost pretty much what the Sonic and AT&T service would cost. A
solution, finally... I really would have liked to use Sonic and their fiber
optic service as a change of pace. I've been forced to use the service of
the legal(?) monopoly that is Xfinity/Comcast or AT&T for many, many years.
In fact, in one city I lived in on the peninsula, one side of the street
was only AT&T and the other side of the street was only Xfinity/Comcast.
I've had a theory on why that's allowed for some time but I wont go into
that here... And in all fairness to the Landlord/ Manager, in spite of the
fact that he wants the apartment building to remain in the T.A.R.D.I.S. for
all eternity there are some very good points to living here. At least for
the time being. Also, the last time I checked, Linux (unfortunately and
fortunately) is only 1.28% of the desktop market or use. Maybe the tech
support  people will get more familiar when and if Linux breaks 5 or 10%.
Oh boy, I suddenly remember at one of the first LUG meetings I attended at
the Cafe pre-Covid (I can't wait to attend another one but my leg injury,
at present dictates otherwise) I told Jim that Linux use would explode in
the next year or two. Yeah, no Stock Market advice from me... Okay, thanks
LUGer's,  good  day to you all thanks!