[sf-lug] Using Linux with AT&T internet service.

tom r lopes tomrlopes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 21:43:49 PDT 2023

Linux would work for any Internet provider. Well as long as they provide a
modem/router. Then you connect using DHCP.

Later in this thread you elaborate that this is at&t fiber. I happen to
have had at&t fiber and just switched to Sonic like 6 months ago.
Anyways at&t fiber comes with a modem router. At the time the
authentication was proprietary do you had to use their equipment. Not sure
if that is still true or not.

Sonic also has a modem but you can select modem only without router and
supply your own router.

Both services require an ONT which converts optical to Ethernet.
Both will need a hole from the outside.
Fiber has a minimum radius. Small turns or bends will damage the line.

Both of them will need a hole from the outside. Sonic likes to also place a
fiber switch/distribution box on the building to make it easier to install
to other apartments in the future. (actually they would prefer to use an
existing telecom room or box if suitable). There one fiber line would then
be shared with up to 8 tenants.
At&t pulled separate cable for each. But this was 2 years ago and gigabit
fiber. I think with the local competition they are now offering 10
gigabit.
Well that is up to 10 gigabit. Lower by the distance from the exchange.

Now about drilling a hole and your landlord - I'm not a lawyer but my
understanding is Internet is a right and drilling a hole is a reasonable
accommodation. But talk to a lawyer or tenant rights advocate.
Or you can ask the landlord to provide the hole - it would need to be
accessible from outside and near an electrical outlet inside.
Or just let at&t do what they want and your landlord will just have to take
it up with them. (I'm sure there is a "damage claim form")

thomas