[sf-lug] Using Linux with AT&T internet service.

Robert Johnson emailbox6357 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 09:03:19 PDT 2023

I spoke to an AT&T rep yesterday, and it's their (fiber optic?) 1 Gig home
internet. They are scheduled to come by in several days to install the
service in the existing telephone jack.  How involved that work will be is
important because the Landlord/manager is in the habit of having a minor
freakout ANYTIME any changes are made to the apartment. I hung a Pink Floyd
poster on the wall that I had in a frame and he was visibly agitated when
he saw it. If the AT&T tech needs to snake an additional line to get things
connected it will be a no-go. Sonic was going to install a line that was
going to go along the existing wiring of the apartment and one hole would
be drilled to feed the line into the apartment and he vetoed that install.
I've used Xfinity/Comcast  for so long I don't know if AT&T will work. I
did a search on their website and they don't seem to have much to do with
anything but Win and Apple.