[sf-lug] A very little news, a question, and late releases.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Jun 11 20:22:03 PDT 2023

Hi LUGers,

	Next SF-LUG meeting is scheduled for July 2. 2023.
Maybe you could circle the date on your calendar.  If anyone
has any ideas about meeting in person pleas share them.

	Fedora, Ubuntu and at least one other distribution
are bringing out Immutable versions.  I know one distro makes
you download fresh images of the OS at every release. not sure
what Ubuntu will do, but Fedora talks about replacing components
but not the whole OS.
	Now on my "Rolling Release" PCLinuxOS 64 when I do an
update as I did earlier installing Linux 6.3.6, I am replacing
a component of the OS and this is repeated every time we get
a update whether it is a tiny link in the machinery of GNU/Linux
or something more important in our scheme of things.
	So how the heck is a Immutable that replaces components
more than a new name for an old concept?
<https://9to5linux.com/fedora-onyx-approved-as-immutable-fedora-linux-39-spin-with-budgie-desktop>
<https://9to5linux.com/canonical-we-are-excited-to-explore-the-idea-of-a-fully-containerised-immutable-ubuntu-desktop>

                ==================================

	And then an immutable system that does not claim the title
is out.+ EasyOS 5.4 and it is installed to a Flash Drive and runs from
that Flash Drive on whatever computer you choose to boot it up.  But you
can do updates on that device and add software you want. Read below for
more.

                    ==================================

	Oh and if you are still running a 6.2 kernel it will
shortly be unsupported. 6.3.xx is where you must
be.  In Late July or Early August 6.4.xx will be out.
6.3 has some new features.
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-kernel-6-3-is-released-with-some-major-new-features/>

                    ==================================
                         Lately at Distrowatch.com
                    ==================================

DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 1023, 12 June 2023

<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230612>

Feature Story (by Jesse Smith) openSUSE 15.5 Leap

openSUSE openSUSE is a community-run distribution which shares a code
base with SUSE Linux Enterprise. The openSUSE team offers approximately
18 months of security updates for each release, with a new point version
coming out each year. The latest release of openSUSE's fixed edition
(called Leap) is version 15.5....

openSUSE is available for multiple architectures, including x86_64,
zSystems, PowerPC, and Aarch64. Each build is offered in two editions, a
full DVD flavour (4.1GB) with an off-line installer and a small edition
which can fit on a CD (203MB) which installs packages over the network.
I opted to use the off-line edition.

Jesse Smith wrote a lot more about this but I have just copied
a couple of paragraphs ot this review and Jesse liked it.

                ==================================

  2023-06-10 NEW • Distribution Release: Debian 12
       The Debian project has announced the release of
Debian 12 "Bookworm", a new stable version which will
receive five years of security updates. The new version
shifts the way the project handles non-free firmware in
an attempt to make Debian more compatible with a range
of consumer hardware.  It uses systemd there is more
more information in the project's release
announcement. <https://www.debian.org/News/2023/20230610>
Debian 12 Bookworm ships with several desktop environments,
such as: GNOME 43, KDE Plasma 5.27, LXDE 11, LXQt 1.2.0,
MATE 1.26, Xfce 4.18.
debian-12.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso (3,748 MB),
debian-12.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso (738 MB).

                 ==================================

2023-06-10 	NEW • Distribution Release: EasyOS 5.4
  	Barry Kauler has announced the release of EasyOS 5.4.
EasyOS is an experimental Linux   distribution which uses
many of the technologies and package formats pioneered by
Puppy Linux.  One of the few SystemD free distributions
remaining - Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Arch, Mint, EndeavourOS,
they all use systemd.   EasyOS is written using tools for
  writing to a Flash Drive and run from there.
<https://bkhome.org/news/202306/easyos-kirkstone-series-version-54-released.html>
<https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/releases/kirkstone/2023/5.4/release-notes.htm>
<https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/releases/kirkstone/2023/5.4/easy-5.4-amd64.img>

  easy-5.4-amd64.img (825 MB)

                    ==================================

  2023-06-08 	NEW • Distribution Release: Ultramarine Linux 38
  	Ultramarine Linux is a Fedora-based distribution featuring
extra package repositories such as RPM Fusion. The project's latest
release, Ultramarine Linux 38, introduces a new desktop scheduler,
  GNOME 44 and faster shutdown times.  Uses systemd.
<https://blog.fyralabs.com/ultramarine-38-released/>
ultramarine-flagship-x86_64.iso (1,962 MB),
ultramarine-gnome-x86_64.iso (1,932 MB,),
ultramarine-pantheon-x86_64.iso (1,804 MB),
ultramarine-plasma-x86_64.iso (2,239 MB)

                    ==================================

  2023-06-07 	NEW • Distribution Release: openSUSE 15.5 Leap     The
openSUSE team has announced the release of openSUSE 15.5
Leap, a minor update to the project's 15.x series. The new version
mostly offers small updates and security fixes for the 15.x branch
of the distribution.
<https://news.opensuse.org/2023/06/07/leap-release-matures-sets-up-tech-transition/>
  openSUSE-Leap-15.5-DVD-x86_64-Build491.1-Media.iso (4,209 MB)
   openSUSE-Leap-15.5-NET-x86_64-Build491.1-Media.iso (203 MB).

    2023-06-07 	NEW • Distribution Release: postmarketOS 23.06
  	postmarketOS is an Alpine-based Linux distribution for
mobile devices. The project offers three mobile interfaces:
Phosh, Plasma Mobile, and Simple Mobile X Interface (Sxmo).
The project's latest release is version 23.06 introduces the
GNOME  Mobile interface, a mobile version of GNOME Shell.
<https://postmarketos.org/blog/2023/06/07/v23.06-release/>
<https://postmarketos.org/download/>
  <https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices>