[sf-lug] Debian 12.0 'bookworm' released as 'Stable'

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 18:00:09 PDT 2023

Bookworm, Debian 12
June 11, 2023, Bookworm was released, so I downloaded the ISO, and upgraded
the 8GB Intel Compute Stick (ICS) running Buster (Debian 11).  I have
Debian installed on the internal memory of the ICS, and Antix 19 on an
MSD.  Since space is so limited (8GB total, but 1GB swap, and 500MB EFI,
there's only 5.77GB for root.
I gave some space to Debian on the MSD, and use a link from
/var/cache/apt/archives to put the downloaded packages off root.  The
usual, update/upgrade Bullseye, then edit the sources.list, changing
bullseye to bookwork, and update/upgrade.
Oops, still ran out of room, getting the 6.1 kernel.  Looked around with du
for a likely directory, big enough to help, and picked /usr/share to move
to the msd, replacing the root /usr/share dir with a link.  It helped to
have a second system (Antix) to boot and
make the changes.  Upgrade then finished, looked OK so tried to reboot to
the 6.1 kernel. Reboot failed, got X, but no desktop, still a space
problem, so from a virtual term, cleaned out the old 5.19 kernel and
autoremoved.  The /usr/share link relied on a noauto mount of the msd,  so
decided to just copy the msd/share files
back to root's /usr/share, then reboot worked.  Got root down to 91% full
for this vanilla Debian install.

Pretty easy if you have the room. /usr/share did contain some files
necessary for the package manager to work, so the link must be functional
for things to work.
Ken