[sf-lug] Fwd: Your confirmation is required to leave the test mailing list

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 30 14:31:55 PDT 2023

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Rick
> 	Excuse me for possibly addressing this improperly but I took no
> action in regard to the test mailing list and have a large number of
> similar posts repeating the same matter.
>
> 	Bobbie Sellers

It's all spam, Bobbie.

(I note that you are _not_ a member of the "test" mailing list, and I'm
pretty sure you have never been one.  It exists for technical reasons,
as a place to send test postings.  Thus the name.)

Some bot is mass-generating e-mail or CGI Web submissions (or both)
sending unsubscribe requests to Mailman, citing e-mail addresses that
presumably got Web-scraped out of the mailing list archives for mailing
lists.

It's malicious in intention, but harmless unless someone who _is_
subscribed to cited mailing list is inattentive and thus agrees to the
unsubscription without really wishing to leave the list.

It may be that the bot author is hoping to hit mailing lists configured
to process unsubscribe requests without seeking confirmation.
linuxmafia.com's Mailman instance always requires confirmation, before
acting on such a request.