[sf-lug] Some Meeting notes and some news.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun May 7 19:25:46 PDT 2023

Hi LUGers,

	We had a very good meeting Sunday 7 May 2023.  I don't say today
because I may not finish this until later in the week.
	Well I managed to remember the meeting this morning and logged
into <https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org> about 10:45 AM.  I got supplies
out while I was waiting.  (Not for the meeting but to feed myself.)

	Around 11 AM Michael P. came along shortly followed by
	Ken S. happy with Ubuntu 23.04
	Johnathan D. from Wyoming where it was 30 Fahrenheit- burrr shivering
at the thought.
	Ron from BC.
	Aaron C. came along with a working camera, so good to see his
face.  He was in a Berkeley coffee shop which contributed a bit of
background noise.
	John S. showed up a bit later.

	So Johnathan D. has a store on Shopify and wanted to
discuss moving it to his own server.   He wanted to use a NUC unit
and John S. was able to say that he had an old one with a Pentium 4.
The very small size of the New Unit of Computing is an advantage.
	But despite numerous suggestions, Ron from BC had to ask the
hard question?  What software will you run your store on?  Not
the server which is a question with many useful answers but the
software to take orders, and payment then send notifications of
orders recieved to the customers and to the supplier?  Johnathan
D. decided to leave his store on Shopify.

	I believe Ron is working on a program and trying to get it to respond
to different display sizes. Ken came right up with
<thetasystems.net> for seeing how resize affacts a site. It contains
code for coversion of a Static Website to an Active Site using Wordpress.
	Ron from BC on the other hand brought us these very instructive sites
dealing with React Hooks. <https://bclug.ca:3001/>  and
<https://courses.webdevsimplified.com/view/courses/react-hooks-simplified>
	He also announced that Java Script is not the boogey man
that a lot of Linux Users assume and points out that without these
programs used on many many website our experiences on the WWW wpi;d
be much less pleasant.

	Aaron is definitely using Ventoy to make various distributions easily
available and he wrote as I requested some notes about the meeting and
about what he was doing. This was very helpful!

(He was I assume) available absorbing everyone (including Ron's)
extensive "thoughts" on Linux, JS, websites, AI,...etc 😄

Also prepping some 8 GB USB thumbdrives w/ Ventoy multiboot and various
deb-based bootable isos ....
debian stable 'bullseye' 11.7
devuan stable 'bullseye'-based Chimaera
latest debian testing 'bookworm'
latest devuan testing 'bookworm'-based Daedalus
finnix-125 terminal-only liveCD
antiX (actually replaced this with the latest sig-checked TAILS image
for space reasons)

	So we talked as Aaron mentioned about the AI Chat-GTP.  I am
not overly impressed but Ron believes it to be a great advance.

	John S. Still has not managed to move those desktop systems
which are capable of good work and in addition he mentions servers in
up to 3U configurations.  These are older and noisy.  If anyone is
interested you can get in touch with him and the address on his email
is valid.

	Johnathan D. Wants to let us know that on May 16 there will
an online presentation on CARP (Unix program).  I hope he will send
us the name of the presenter, the URL and time of the presentation soonest.

	Well Ken, Johnathan and John then Aaron I beleive took off early.  I
left about 1 PM leaving Ron and Michael to further discussion.
	Either one can tell us about if if they care to do so.

	As always if someone thinks I missed a matter of importance please
offer your corrections as soon as possible.

	Bobbie Sellers

     ==================================
  	Lately at Distrowatch
     ==================================

  DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 1018, 8 May 2023
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230508>
Feature story is a review of Fedora 38 Workstation by
by Joshua Allen Holm.  Miscellaneous News by Jesse Smith
contains some interesting discussion and I did NOT know
that Fedora had gotten several immutablet version out
and is going to do another perhaps.

             ==================================

		New Distro using Chat-GTP!
   2023-05-07 	NEW • Distribution Release: Br OS 23.04
	Anderson Marques has announced the release of Br OS 23.04.
Br OS, developed in Brazil, is an Ubuntu-based distribution
featuring the KDE Plasma desktop and a set of applications
designed for web content creation. This release marks the
project's third anniversary. An interesting new feature of the
release is an integration of ChatGPT directly in the work area.
  It can be accessed by an icon located on the right side of the
start menu. After clicking on the  icon, the user can login with
an OpenAI account or create a new account. It is important to
stress that ChatGPT does not have any power over the user's
computer; it runs isolated inside  the application. This was
purposely done to prevent ChatGPT from accessing any data on the
  computer. In this way, the only data ChatGPT will collect are
limited to those typed by the user  while interacting with the
application.  Uses systemd.    <https://br-os.com/blog/?p=390>
  <https://br-os.com/changelog/> (both links in Portuguese)
  br-os-23.04-desktop-amd64.iso (4,452 MB)

                      ==================================

2023-05-03 NEW • Development Release: Dragora GNU/Linux-Libre 3.0 Beta 2
  	Dragora GNU/Linux-Libre is a distribution created from scratch with
the intention of providing a stable, multi-platform and multi-purpose
operating system. It is built upon 100% free software. The project has
published its second beta release for version 3.0
(the previous beta was published about three years ago) which includes
several updates and a migration from Python 2 to Python 3.
<https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/dragora-users/2023-04/msg00011.html>
dragora-3.0-amd64-beta2-dvd.iso (3,792 MB) uses sysvint.

I guess that is all folks.
Next meeting is on Sunday June 4, 2023

	Don't forget Mother's Day if you have one.

	Bobbie - using Linux 6.2.14.