[sf-lug] Sunday May 7 Meeting and Lately on Distrowatch.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Fri May 5 11:51:55 PDT 2023

Hi LUGers,

    Well the next meeting is this Sunday May 7, 2023.
If you are going to be in person somewhere let the other
members know.  The meeting as usual will be from 11 AM
to 1 PM PDT. I will be at: <https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org>
if wake up enough to remember the meeting.

                    ==================================

** Linux Magazine Preview
Issue 271 • June 2023
https://linux-magazine.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1c76cb37f73773b4962ae429b&id=ec13068ec2&e=b51ecaac22

Get ready for another issue of Linux Magazine!

Cover Stories: Smart home solutions will save you time and energy – and,
did I mention, you can amaze your friends. This month we show you how to
take charge of your home environment with smart devices and open source
automation software.

                    ==================================
                         Lately at Distrowatch.com
                    ==================================

   DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 1017, 1 May 2023
    <https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230501>
    Xubuntu 23.04 review. Feature Story (by Jeff Siegel)
    He liked it but had small problems for a reviewer but read about it.

   Where do all the new package management systems put their files?
   Questions and Answers (by Jesse Smith) Where package managers install
files Locating-the-files asks: Where do APT, Flatpak, Snap, and AppImage
install applications?
    If I install something manually, where should I put it?

                    ==================================

2023-04-29 	NEW • Distribution Release: Photon OS 5.0
  	Photon OS, a security-hardened and enterprise-grade appliance
operating system that is purpose-built for cloud and edge applications,
has reached version 5.0. Uses systemd.Images for the arm64 architecture.
<https://github.com/vmware/photon/wiki/What-is-New-in-Photon-OS-5.0>
photon-rt-5.0-x86_64.iso (683 MB)
photon-minimal-5.0-x86_64.iso (538 MB)
photon-5.0-x86_64.iso (4,410 MB)

2023-04-26 	NEW • Distribution Release: Peropesis 2.1
  	Peropesis (personal operating system) is a small-scale, minimalist,
command-line-based Linux operating system. The project's latest release,
Peropesis 2.1, introduces a number of new software development tools
(including automake and autoconf), the Perl interpreted scripting
language, and two new compression utilities.
<https://peropesis.org/news/?nr=54#2023-04-26>
  Peropesis-2.1-live.iso (205 MB)