[sf-lug] Meeting notes 2.0

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Tue Feb 7 08:15:25 PST 2023

> Please feel free to make additions and/or corrections to
> what I remember.

Got onto the virtual meeting late; maybe a bit before 12Noon(?)
IIRC, Victor was asking questions about ternary operators and the use of
curly brackets {} in bash scripts.

Was myself using PCLinuxOS https://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=2 with the
LXQt desktop environment on a trial basis on a laptop. Pair of definitely
unique things about PCLinuxOS as also mentioned in John Paul's 2020 review
of the same at https://itsfoss.com/pclinuxos-review/ are 1) it uses apt
and synaptic to handle RPM packages, and 2) it uses SysV init vs systemd
init and "will continue to do so for the foreseeable future".  For various
reasons, personally favor using the LXQt desktop of the Devuan GNU+Linux
fork of Debian without systemd (https://www.devuan.org/ )

A current subject matter of concern brought up on Devuan's Dev1 Galaxy
Forum is A warning to EU mirror operators.
Quoting the thread's OP from
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=40810 :
There is a directive currently in the works in the EU, called Chat Control
2.0, which may have a detrimental effect on the mirrors in the region,
depending on how the member state the mirror resides in decides to
interpret it, may become detrimental, or even force them to shut down,
depending on the circumstances. We have a list of known mirrors that will
be affected, if this directive passes.  All operators in this region are
advised to begin the process of creating emergency backups of their
servers, if they have not done so.

In any case, was looking into, downloaded and then installed yt-dlp
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp on that PCLinuxOS laptop ; yt-dlp being a
youtube-dl fork based on the now inactive youtube-dlc.

> Ron mentioned codium and pycharm as possible productivity tools
> for python development, and Ken downloaded the tar balls.
> Ken found the pycharm terms of use seemed a bit snoopy, so locally
> installed the VScode.

After installing yt-dlp, was soon afterwards quite effective at viewing
Python creator Guido van Rossum's thoughts on the 'Best Python IDE: Vim,
Emacs, PyCharm, or Visual Studio Code?' through something like the command
string
'yt-dlp_linux www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mtQhWNezQ && mpv ./Best*webm'
(hint: Guido seems to favor VScode over Pycharm as well; he favorably
compared the former to Emacs :-\ )

> Attendees:Ron bc, Ken  Victor, Jonathan, Tom, Arron, ...

-Aaron ;-)
aaronco36 at sdf.org