[sf-lug] Next Meeting and a very little bit of news...

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Sep 26 23:42:28 PDT 2022

Hi LUGers,

	Well I hope you all remember that the meeting
whether online or in person will be next Sunday October 2,
from 11 AM to 1 PM at some location you guys agree upon
or via <https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org> which is where I
will be.  I still have not found out what is squelching
my Audio but turn on Chat and you won't miss anything I
might say.  Especially if i think it is useful.

	==================================

Updates on the Distrowatch site.

2022-09-22 	NEW • Distribution Release: ExTiX 22.9
  	The ExTiX distribution is an Ubuntu-based project
which features alternative desktop environments. The latest
version of ExTiX uses the KDE Plasma desktop and ships
  with the Anbox software for running Android applications.

	==================================

2022-09-27 	NEW • Distribution Release: CRUX 3.7
  	CRUX is a lightweight, Linux distribution for computers running on
64-bit x86 processors. The distribution is targeted at experienced Linux
users. The primary focus of this distribution is "keep it simple". The
project's latest release is CRUX 3.7 which features version 5.15.55 of
the Linux kernel along with updates for the X.Org display software and
for Wayland.   sysvinit 3.05-1.pkg.tar.xz is one of the files on
the iso.  No systemd. Iso file => 1200 Megabytes.

	The install procedure must be for advanced Linux users.
Here are some useful and relevant URLs.
	<https://crux.nu/Main/ReleaseNotes3-7>
	<https://crux.nu/Wiki/FaqInstallation>
        <https://crux.nu/Wiki/QuickInstallReference2-1>
It seems to me that this system might be good for people who want
to learn Linux because one way or another to use this CRUX you
will have to learn a lot of Linux, just my opinion of course
from scanning a few pages of notes.

==================================

  Distrowatch Newsletter
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20220926>
  Contains a through review of Suse's MicroOS  edition.
What is MicroOS? It is an immutable operating system which,
as the wiki explains, means:
     Read-only root filesystem to avoid accidental modifications
of the OS. The Transactional Updates technology leverages Btrfs
snapshots to apply package updates without interfering with
the running system.

     Read the review at the URL above and you will find that
this is not ready for your working machines yet.  It has obvious
problems not related to the Immutable Operating System but
doing updates and other operations.

      I wonder what the more learned members of our mailing
list think of the idea of an Immutable OS?
      Personally I prefer a Rolling Release after having used
Point releases in Mandriva and Mageia.  If I was running a
server I might be more interested in the concept.

	The same issue had other news as well talking about
things of interest such as the complete deprecation of Python 2.

	==================================

 From the Register!

Linus Torvalds predicts Linux Kernel 6.0 debut next week,
dispels fear of delays Simon Sharwood - 2022/09/25

Hails unusually smooth development process despite travel complications
Linux kernel boss Linus Torvalds has offered the community an optimistic
prediction that version 6.0 of the project will debut next week.…

Last week Torvalds felt that might not be the case.

In his September 18 State of the Kernel update, Torvalds announced
release candidate six and mentioned that the 2022 Maintainers' Summit in
Dublin had seen a lot of influential penguinistas spend time away from
their desks.
<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/linus-torvalds-predicts-linux-kernel-60-debut-next-week-dispels-fear-of-delays/ar-AA12eSbA>