[sf-lug] Meeting notes of SF-LUG jit.se from August 7, 2022 - news.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 11 22:58:56 PDT 2022

Hi LUGers,

Well I must say with somewhat of a shamed face
that getting busy on Sunday morning of August 7
with necessary chores the Linux User Group meeting
had completely slipped my mind.

     Something reminded me, maybe my calendar with
the SF-LUG meeting marked in scatchy red ink or the
header when I started on my daily notes about what
I had to do.   The Header read SF-LUG meeting 11-1pm.

Well the computer was running and I opened a Firefox
tab and hit the meeting bookmark and was online by
11:28 AM.

     John S. had stopped by but when I did not show
up as scheduled he took a hike. as related to me
by Ken S.  who stuck around until around 12 Noon when
he was called to eat.

Victor from the South Bay left about a minute later than
Ken.

Michael P was on hand and was having an interesting
discussion with Ron from BC later in the meeting.

Rick Moen came by and gave us tours of the ceiling
of his home as he went about fixing his food or coffee.
He made some valuable remarks or so they seemed
at the time

About the same time Robert showed up and he was
having a little trouble perhaps with the Jit.si interface?

I was able to talk to others at this meeting courtesy of
Tom R. Lopes who appears to have donated a fine
working microphone to me to save me a little expense
and some trouble.  Thank you very much Tom.  I wish
you would let me pay you back.  Tom did not say much
at this meeting.  He was at the cafe where the Berkeley
LUG group meets when it can.

     John S. had stopped by but when I did not show
up as scheduled he took a hike. as related to me
by Ken S.  who stuck around until around 12 Noon when
he was called to eat.

Victor from the South Bay left about a minute after Ken.

Michael P was on hand and was having an interesting
discussion with Ron from BC later in the meeting.

Rick Moen came by and gave us tours of the ceiling
of his home as he went about fixing his food or coffee.
He made some valuable remarks or so they seemed
at the time.

About the same time Robert showed up and he was
having a little trouble perhaps with the Jit.se interface?

I was able to talk to others at this meeting courtesy of
Tom R. Lopes who appears to have donated a fine
working microphone to me to save me a little expense
and some trouble.  Thank you very much Tom.  I wish
you would let me pay you back.  Tom did not say much
at this meeting.  He was at the cafe where the Berkeley
LUG group meets when it can.

     So I had a bit of a problem with my Dell Latitude
E6540 as when I installed it somehow it missed
the Ethernet connection by which I update and
get mail and so forth.  I spoke briefly about it
at the meeting with Ken.  I have since solved the
problem as proposed.  I shut it down and
disconnected it from AC power, the net and the
fan cooler underneath it. Then I pulled out the
battery and left it out overnight.
The next day I reconnected all but the Ethernet
which I was finally able to do today, booted up
and the Ethernet port was found.  Presently
finishing finishing 126 packages of updates
including to kernel 5.18.16.

And too think I was willing to do a complete re-installation.

  About 1:30 PM I said good bye to- Ron of BC who was
still online.

    The great thing about a video meeting in this humid
weather which we have been enjoying recently is that
I did not have time to change from shorty airy PJs
that I had been doing my dishes in.  I was more comfortable
than I appeared.

    The next meeting will be on Sunday, September 4, 2020.
Same jit.si site same time.
    	=================================

Now for the news of Distrowatch latest additions.
    	=================================

2022-08-11 	NEW • Distribution Release: Ubuntu 22.04.1
Canonical has announced the release of an update to their Ubuntu 22.04
series along with updated official community editions. The new version,
22.04.1, include minor updates, fixes, and improved RISC-V support.
<https://distrowatch.com/11611>

         =================================

2022-08-09 	NEW • Distribution Release: Kali Linux 2022.3
Kali Linux is a Debian-based distribution with a collection of security
and forensics tools. The project's latest release is Kali Linux 2022.3
which includes a number of new tools.
<https://www.kali.org/blog/kali-linux-2022-3-release/>

I have to say the best bet with Kali is go to the Kali website for
checksums and to pick out what might be most interesting.  I wasted
a lot of time trying to get it thru the Distrowatch torrent link or
maybe there was just too much demand on a site.

	Now I have tried to get rid of the job of showing up at in person
meetings.  Even the ride out to the former site at Cafe Enchanting is
now very tiring to me.  If no one is going to take over the little chore
of trying to write about the meeting except when
they are having trouble getting there.  No English Majors, or Liberal
Arts students that could take over that and show up at most meetings?
	In the recent month the death of a room mate has added to my
responsibilities until the SF Administrator can send someone to make
sure she does not have vital papers or a cache of gold hidden in her
old clothes.

	I hope the UG does not abandon the idea of in-person meetings in some
accessible venue.  Mikki McGee called me today to ask about that you
see, so I mention it here. She is finally getting around to doing
an update on the lovely 17 inch Dell Inspiron with Ryzen processor.
Anyway she wants to point out that in person meetings are much better
than Video.  Now if we can set the up on another day when she has no
other meetings.
	I am 85 years old, getting increasingly dilapidated and literally
creaky.  I am glad I got the E6540 working properly as
with that taken care of I can fix two problems with the E6520 giving
it 8 GB of RAM and a 256 SSD. Maybe I can get that done before we
jit.si again.  Oh about the notes being so late I got them started
finally on Wednesday evening and added some to them this evening.

	Bobbie Sellers