[sf-lug] Fwd: [kwlug-disc] Google with TOTP (Akkana to the rescue...)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Jun 14 14:21:03 PDT 2022

Ronald Barnes writes:

> Someone on the KWLUG list had their issue with email and Google's OAUTH
> implementation by using something they found on github.com.
>
> Something about the repo looked familiar - it's Akkana's script.

Neat! Thanks for letting me know -- I love hearing things like that.
I've now made the change Khalid mentioned, adding the float conversion.

I don't remember if I ever posted a link to my writeup once I
got OAuth2 working. If not, it's
https://shallowsky.com/blog/tech/email/gmail-api-oauth2.html

I'm still working on getting the script to spit out a clear message
when the token expires and you have to go get a new one (which I
think happens once a week, if you don't use it in that time). It's
hard to debug something that can only be tested once a week. :-)
Once I'm confident it's working, I'll probably make a cron job or a
.zlogin job that fetches the token; I'm hoping that if I fetch it
more often than once a week, maybe it won't expire, but I don't know
since they don't make those policies clear anywhere.

        ...Akkana