[sf-lug] New releases at Distrowatch.com Preview of Linux Pro magazine...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 10 11:11:04 PDT 2022

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> 2022-05-06 	Development Release: AlmaLinux OS 8.6 Beta
> Rate this project 	AlmaLinux OS is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux which strives to be entirely binary compatible with its
> upstream provider. The AlmaLinux team have published a new
> development release.
>
> Now elsewhere I have read that this is to be a component of Linux on
> Windows.  Make what you will of that but i find it bothersome.

Why?

I'm not the boss of you, but otherwise it's slightly embarrassing when
members of the Linux communities knee-jerk like that, and simply don't
bother to think.

AlmsLinux is indeed one of the numerous Linux distros that are available
prepacked for the Windows Subsystem for Linux ("WSL") container-software
system[1], and it can accordingly also be an easily deployed choice on
the Microsoft Azure virtual-hosting site.  Rocky Linux, the re-founding
of CentOS by my friend Greg Kurtzer and others, is another.  Also
Ubuntu, OpenSuse Leap, Kali Linux, Debian, Oracle Linux, Suse Linux
Enterprise.

The ability of anyone, anywhere, to use distros for any purpose
is deliberately provided in, and inherent in, the licensing.  It's not a
bug; it's a feature.  It's called software freedom, Bobbie.  It's A Good
Thing.

[1] https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/almalinux-8-wsl/9NMD96XJJ19F