[sf-lug] android

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 7 00:07:35 PDT 2022

I wrote:

> 3. The obvious way to escape the clutches of the 2nd most nosy
>    corporation in the world -- and still use Android if that is
>    one's cuppa is to _not use Google's Android builds_, but rather
>    (hardware support permitting[1]) one of the third-party,
>    less-filled-with-vendor-captive-proprietary-junk Android,
>    Replicant or CopperheadOS for the purists, PostmarketOS for
>    the realists.

I misremembered the relevant names, on account of writing
extemporaneously.

The ur-implementation of truly open source Android was CyanogenMod.
When that project imploded, its flagship successor, and main current
example of the genre, is LineageOS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

The hardcore-FSF-leaning, militant-free-software version of LineageOS
with absolutely all proprietary bits omitted is Replicant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicant_(operating_system)

/e/ (formerly Eelo) is a fork of LineageOS with microG, a free and
open-source implementation of Google APIs substituted for Google Play
Services.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//e/_(operating_system)

There are, predictably, others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_custom_Android_distributions

_PostmarketOS_, is a real Linux distribution for mobile devices, not an
Android variant.  It's a popular choice for PinePhones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostmarketOS