[sf-lug] Scam mails, gift cards

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 23 10:17:50 PDT 2022

A SF-LUG regular's former Yahoo Mail address got cracked.  (I've
redacted his name, below.)  The crooks immediately sent financial fraud
mail to the regular's contact list (all of it).  Things to note:

o  Request for a gift card is a tip-off because it's untraceable money.
   (Sending money via Western Union, ditto.)
o  The stilted "How are you?  Trust you are doing fine." language is
   classic scammer diction.
o  If you won't be using a "free" webmail account, close it, else
   your friends may be barraged by fraudmail if/when it gets cracked.
o  The "I couldn't figure out how to buy a Nike gift card online"
   cover story doesn't stand up to five seconds of testing, but the
   scammers rely on victims not stopping to think.
o  Never just send money, anyway.  If in doubt, call the person.

----- Forwarded message from "[name redacted]" <[participant's old Yahoo address]> -----