[sf-lug] Cheese has no webcam

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 16 15:00:24 PDT 2022

Quoting Yong Tang (tomcatcantalk at outlook.com):

> I did install and remove Pipewire before this trouble occurred. Is
> it possible I can prove that Pipewire made this trouble and what it
> did to my cheese through log analysis?

I have no relevant experience with PipeWire
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PipeWire), _but_, if you consider its
design objective to be a "processing engine on top of audio and video
devices that can be used to support the use cases currently handled by
both pulseaudio and JACK" (https://pipewire.org/), i.e., it tries to be
the middle-layer plumbing for all A/V traffic -- it'd be not at all
surprising to hear that it might make changes to the groups/permissions
used by relevant applications.

There's a large amount of complex documentation at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/home ,
which is not surprising, since it's at Freedesktop.org, the hallowed
home of very complex desktop-software subsystems and the people who gave
us GNOME, systemd, and PulseAudio.

Anyway, you could try grepping your logfiles for system events shortly
after you installed PipeWire, but there's no special to reason any would
show there.

(I cherish this thread for its surrealistic Subject header, by the way.)