[sf-lug] Cheese has no webcam

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sat Mar 5 17:40:06 PST 2022

Yong Tang wrote on 2022-03-05 06:52:

> I tried opening cheese with sudo. It works!
>
> I will dig further to see whether I can find something more
> interesting.

If it works with sudo, it might be worth checking which "groups" your
main user is a member of.

Perhaps adding yourself to groups "video", "plugdev", or something would
help.

There is a list of available groups in /etc/group

And to add a group to a user, be careful to use the -a (--append) *and*
-G (--groups) options to usermod.  Sometimes it's forgotten and the
target user ends up in only the new group which has various repercussions.

So, for adding video group membership to user "me", something like:

# usermod --append --groups video me

Hopefully this is helpful and not too error-riddled advice.

rb