[sf-lug] linux running windows as a VM guest

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Feb 19 11:28:31 PST 2022

Alex Kleider writes:
> I've yet to decide if I want to buy another drive as a security measure or just take a chance!  I'll probably take the risk since not having the ability to run MS Windows hasn't bothered me within memory.

That should be safe. Even if things go sideways, Windows is
available as an ISO now, so you can always download a new copy,
which should run after checking your machine's MSDM. The only thing
you'd miss is any special drivers (which you can probably download
separately) and any spyware the manufacturer added to the
preinstalled Windows.

I only switched disks because I was planning to upgrade to a bigger
drive anyway (and Lenovo way overcharges for a larger SSD if you order
it with the machine). I wouldn't have bought a new disk just for that.

        ...Akkana