[sf-lug] problem with Grub

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jan 12 16:48:42 PST 2022

Bobbie Sellers writes:
> > > Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will have Grub bootloader version 2.06 but there is a
> > >  problem with it. It has os-prober feature disabled by default.
> > >
> > > This means that if you are on a dual boot system, Grub won’t probe
> > > for other operating systems and thus it won’t list Windows (or other
> > > OS) in Grub.

Ubuntu's os-prober was broken as far as detecting Linux
installations anyway (supposedly it works for Windows). When I tried
to file a bug on that,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1912677
I was told:

    Running two *Ubuntu installs on the same system is not really
    supported, as there can only be one grub installed.

    Same for os-prober really, it doesn't really work correctly for
    anything other than Windows.

After reading that, I gave up on Ubuntu's grub entry
generation and switched to writing my own grub cfg.
I put it in /etc/grub.d/09_local so it runs before 10_linux
or 30_os-prober, and the last entry is:

menuentry " --------- AUTOGENERATED CRAP BELOW ----------" {
echo "(just a separator)"
}

So when I boot, all the (mostly broken but a few might work)
entries from os-prober go below the line, and I can try them
in emergencies if my entries stop working.

(I've since switched back to Debian; I haven't investigated whether
Debian's os-prober is similarly broken, since my 09_local has been
working fine.)

Speaking of grub problems: has anybody managed to get a custom
background image working in grub on UEFI? I've tried everything I
can think of, read all the docs I can find, tried installing the
grub-splashimages packge, but nothing has worked, and none of the
docs addresses details like, if you put a background_image entry
in a grub config, what filesystem is that relative to, so where
should you put the image on the running system so that grub will
see it at the next boot? Background images used to work on MBR
systems.

        ...Akkana