[sf-lug] Ubuntu zsys?

Alan Swithenbank alans at cuervo.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 11 16:41:29 PST 2022

Hi,

Anyone had any encounters with Ubuntu zsys? I'm putting
together up a new box, and planned to set up zfs (been
using it). But, it sounds like Canonical has decided it
will install zsys by default now if you install zfs. The
fact that documentation mentions black-magic and repeated
tries to make it through their choosen communications
framework (gRPC) is a bit disconcerting. Not that Canonical
doing something that doesn't work well is too surprising these
days...;^) But, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to
hear them.

thanks!

Alan Swithenbank (waterdog)

PS, here's what is actually said:

"the unix socket which activates on demand zsysd is using SO_PEERCRED to
pass credentials (who/when) and with some (black magic) wizardry and
multiple attempts, we were able to make it work over gRPC, the communication
RPC framework we are using. As this whole combination was not really
documented anywhere on the Internet, it may be useful to document that in
a more technical blog post in the future."