[sf-lug] Notes regarding Jit.se meeting of SF-LUG on 2 January 2022 and more

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 5 13:52:15 PST 2022

Hi LUGers,

I was second to the meeting.  Tom was setting up and I was bit delayed
by household chores.

Ken came along and eventually demoed his Intel Stick which seems to have
trouble with
video on Jit.se but worked.   Video quality was low.

Victor showed up by 1108 But he went off to cook his breakfast. He
returned about 1135
Took off again about Noon for real life.

Tom took the occasion to demonstrate his Larkbox while Ken set up his
Intel stick
It seems capable but Tom is disappointed in speed of disk access.
Eventually Tom disassembled his Larkbow on screen and reassembled it by 1300
when the meeting ended.
This points out a problem with small form factor boxes in that expansion
or upgrading
of the base system is quite hard to achieve.
Well all I did was comment and find URLs so that Tom could see a video
of the disassembly
and reassembly of the Larkbox.

I asked Ken and anyone else who could comment on the idea of moving
similar SSD
drives between machines and he thought it was possible.

On Tuesday I planned to submit these scanty notes but my E7450 would not
boot up.
All day I struggled with getting either machine working and in the
process moved
the SSD drives between the machines.   I did do a lot with a Flash Drive
but did not
get a satisfactory result and by 6 PM I just gave up and ate and went to
bed.

Wedneday AM I made I a fresh installation Flash Drive and afterward it
managed to boot
up very nicely though using the GDM longin which I despise.  I had to
take care of the
Updates.   Right now about 1230 I am waiting for the updates to finish.

Next meeting of SF-LUG will likely be on Jit.se again on February 6
between 11 AM and
1 PM unless some one has something new and exciting to relate about a
project.

<https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org> 2022/02/06 from 11 AM to 1 PM.

And so it is not all about me.  Distrowatch has a several distributions
and I
even downloaded 2022-01-01     Distribution Release: Slackel 7.5 "Openbox"
No time to run the the checksums due to loss of a couple of days to
recovery,
personal and computer.

I did not get 2022-01-01     NEW • Distribution Release: Neptune 7.0

I am sending this off before the computer breaks again.  It shows 877 broken
packages.  I am going to try something else.

Bobbie Sellers aka bliss - brought to you by the power and ease of
PCLinuxOS
                           and a minor case of hypergraphia