[sf-lug] Notice: ns1.svlug.org downtime, DNS secondary

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 13 09:39:00 PST 2021

Quoting Al (awsflug at sunnyside.com):

> I don't think I'm directly affected by svlug being down since I
> don't AXFR from ns1.svlug, and I don't originate any records that
> define svlug to be a domain server, but good to know what's going
> on.

Background, for any interested SF-LUG people, is here:
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2021q4/004990.html

The Internet host in question has been haunted by bad administrative
decisions by volunteers who made them without consulting anyone else
(something nobody was supposed to do), leading to avoidable and
pointless security problems, and it is now time to clean up the
resulting mess.  Fortunately, SVLUG (which I'm not _supposed_ to
have to run, but other volunteers flaked out) isn't currently meeting,
and the group isn't needing or using its Web site at the moment, only
making (very infrequent) use of mailing lists on a different Internet
host.  So, there is no rush -- and we (which probably means just me)
can take the time to do it intelligently, this time.