[sf-lug] Virtual meeting notes for Sun 10/3/2021, pair of own suggestions

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Oct 10 20:19:59 PDT 2021

Quoting Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> from [01]:
> Victor needs help with setting up a dual boot machine with a programming
> environment running in a virtual machine if I understood him correctly.

...and much further along...
> Aaron had shared a few current references with us and I am sure will be
happy to do so here.

Glad to oblige however belatedly ;-)

There was also some discussion of using KNOPPIX [02] for Victor's needs.
Conveniently, the head KNOPPIX maintainer Klaus Knopper released the CD
version of KNOPPIX v9.1 back in February of this year; see [03] and [04]
Specific benefits of the KNOPPIX v9.1 liveCD include
- ability to function on a wider range of optical drives other than solely
DVD
- ability to boot on fairly low-spec i386 and amd64 hardware
- useful wide gamut of utility, systems administration, and
developmental/programming tools (a veritable Swiss Army Knife liveCD!)

As far as "setting up a dual boot machine with a programming environment
running in a virtual machine", IMHO, Victor's best bet would be to first
install Debian GNU/Linux[05] as a virtualbox machine (see references [06]
and [07]) in whatever Windows version he's currently using.  Since Victor
is apparently also familiar with Lightweight Xfree86 Qt desktop
environment Ubuntu (LXQt Ubuntu, a.k.a. Lubuntu[08]), it makes good sense
to similarly use by default Debian's lightweight LXQt desktop for the
Debian virtualbox machine.
Specific benefits of installing Debian at least include
- its incredible versatility on a wide range of hardware and using various
available hardware resources
- its many available software packages, including most if not all major
programming environments a.k.a., Integrated Development Environments
(IDE's)
- its compatibility with Debian-derived Ubuntu as well as other
Debian-based and Ubuntu-based distros -- "If it works in Debian, then
it'll certainly work in Ubuntu"

After Victor and others become more comfortable with using Debian in a
virtual machine, then IMNSHO, it might be best to install Debian alongside
Windows as a dual-booting system; see [09] and [10].  One of the main
reasons for dual-booting as opposed to running Debian virtually is that
there is host resource overhead required (e.g., RAM) in running a virtual
machine such as Debian within a host system, and this host resource
overhead slows down its virtual machines' performance.  Such is not the
case when only a single OS boots and can load on so-to-speak "bare metal".

As shown in reference [11] for installing dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows
installed first, there are several preparatory steps before Linux (in this
case, Debian) can be installed alongside.  On the hard drive with the
pre-existing Windows OS, Victor and others should _most certainly_ backup
as many Windows data files/documents as possible to good external media
from within Windows, perform disk(s) cleanup, and then perform a complete
defragmentation of all Windows partitions. Once files are successfully
backed up, the Windows partition(s) are as cleaned-up as possible, and all
Windows partitions are entirely defragmented, then Victor and others can
reboot their Windows machines using the KNOPPIX v9.1 CD from [04] (or its
liveUSB equivalent) and then proceed to run KNOPPIX's excellent GNOME
Partition Editor GParted[12] to make suffient diskspace available for the
eventual dual-boot installation of Debian.  Note that the author in
reference [11] recommends creating 100-150 Gb of free Hard Disk space for
this dual-boot install of Linux, "although anything above 40 Gb would do
the job".

Hope that this helps and further suggestions/comments from others most
certainly welcome :-)

-Aaron