[sf-lug] + favicon.ico

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 12 18:09:51 PDT 2021

> And, for those using non-ancient ewey GUI browsers,
> now with favicon.ico:
> https://www.sf-lug.org/

Nice.

I've had one on linuxmafia.com since September 2001, BTW.  The leading
implementation at the time was the one MSIE 5 parsed from HTML root
directories and displayed on the URL bar, starting March 1999.  It's
kind of a wavering pseudo-standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_(file_format)#History covers the first
attempt at a spec from the Redmondians, when it was a 48x48 pixel "BMP"
bitmap file at some low colour depth -- which is what I created in 2001.

Since early days, the pseudospec has sprouted a number of variations.

> Notice, e.g. in the upper left part of tab.
> Likewise also added on http://bad.debian.net/

http://bad.debian.net/favicon.ico and
https://bad.debian.net/favicon.ico are currently 404.

(Old joke:  Try to avoid ever owning a Peugeot 404.  You'd never be able
to find it.)