[sf-lug] Meeting in person again as well as virtually...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat May 22 00:08:17 PDT 2021

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes at gmail.com):

> Yay!
> I will try to make it.  Will be my first SF-LUG in person.

The coffee and pastries are pretty good; the company is exceptional.  ;->

> I'll be trying out a hybrid meeting this Sunday using a
> USB video conferencing device that I call CyclopsCam
> but is actually a Logitech bcc950.  The concern is the
> microphone is clear enough and the speakers loud but
> not too loud.
> I'll let you know next week.

Pretty reasonable plan.  Problem areas (possible ones) to keep an eye on:

1.  I recall WiFi at Cafe Enchante, as at many such places, to be
sometimes unreliable and not all that fast.  Worst case, you might
have to fallback to cellular data.

2.  As you say, the speakers might get swamped by ambient noise, but
the noise level is going to be no worse than you encountered in your
earlier trial in Berkeley, and probably better.  In a way, the
Logitech BCC950 not having very loud output is good for a place
like a cafe:  It makes it less likely that management or nearby
clientele will raise a fuss.

Logitech's noise cancellation in their webcams' microphones has a good
reputation.  Overall, going by what I'm seeing online, the unit looks
like a really good choice, including compactness.  Somewhat inevitably,
you'll need to sit somewhat close to a source of AC power, though.