[sf-lug] Fwd: Looking for a cheap printer

Todd Hawley celticdm at gmail.com
Fri May 7 19:56:33 PDT 2021

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:38 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> > More up-front, but cheaper long-term - get a decent laser printer.
>
> And not even necessarily more up-front.
>
> Last time this subject came up, and Bobbie was swearing up and down that
> the only possible thing she could buy is a hideously expensive to
> operate inkjet printer because it was 'cheaper' -- in response to
> which I spent 10 minutes looking on Craigslist and found a half dozen or
> more decent laser printers for far _less_ money than Bobbie intended to
> spend buying an inkjet printer.

Hasn't the rule of thumb for all printers (and this may have come up
already in this thread)
that most printers are cheap to buy but the cartridges will generally be
really expensive? A friend
of mine had an HP printer that he had been able to buy third party
cartridges for until HP sent
out an update that made it impossible for any third party cartridges to
work on it. He has now
dumped that printer.

-th