[sf-lug] Looking for a cheap printer

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri May 7 02:42:55 PDT 2021

> From: John Strazzarino <jstrazza at yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 17:29:11 -0700
> To: SF-LUG <sf-lug at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: [sf-lug] Looking for a cheap printer

> My neighbor's ink jet printer just died.  Anybody got one for sale,
> inexpensively?

Cheap/inexpensive to acquire, and cheap/inexpensive to operate - especially
over the longer term, are quite different questions.  And should we presume
for Linux?

I got rid of one last year:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc&do=diff&rev2%5B0%5D=1579356104&rev2%5B1%5D=1582603795&difftype=inline
Probably just needed a little TLC to get it printing again.
Had it listed for years:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=balug:offered_wanted_hardware_etc&do=diff&rev2%5B0%5D=1535949158&rev2%5B1%5D=1536898145&difftype=inline
Tried to give it away - made for a perfectly good flatbed scanner under
Linux too.
Oh well ... I eventually kicked it back to the curb from whence it came.

Anyway, cheap to acquire, inkjet - but they'll cost you lots in the
long run - and horrible for the environment - most of the time cheaper
to get a new one than to buy ink for an existing one.

More up-front, but cheaper long-term - get a decent laser printer.
It will generally pay for itself in savings within a couple years+-,
depending how much printing one does.

I got myself laser printer about bit over 8 years ago.
I figured I hit the break even point around 3 to 5 years or so in,
and probably saves me about $50.00 USD or so per year thereafter.