[sf-lug] GMail users: check archives for Wed/Thu posts

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 24 20:21:52 PST 2021

Owing to an arcane problem[1], GMail refused all mail from
linuxmafia.com (which hosts the SF-LUG mailing list) between some time
Wednesday afternoon and about 2pm today (Thursday).  So, you subscribers
participating from GMail never got several of this mailing list's
postings that went out to subscribers during that time span.

To see what people were saying, you can consult the archives:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2021q1/date.html

[1] Following a friend tripping a particuarly unfortunate circuit breaker
at my house, and thereby accidentally taking down my server,
linuxmafia.com's server underwent the first restart since I manually
re-IPed it to use a new uplink when my ADSL provider was forced out of
the business.  Upon restart, the server got an IPv6 address _even
though_ I nowhere specified one in the network configs.  Because the
server was supposed to (intentionally, for now) have _no_ IPv6 address,
just an IPv4 one, there was no IPv6-based reverse DNS pointing from the
(new) IPv6 address to FQDN "linuxmafia.com".  GMail refuses to deliver
SMTP mail to any SMTP server with an IPv6 address but no rDNS for it, so
instantly GMail commenced SMTP-550-rejecting all mail from
linuxmafia.com, including all postings to this mailing list.

I noticed the problem about 1:30 pm today, and it took me a few minutes
to then assess and fix.  Details here:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2021-February/011513.html
(follow the thread).