[sf-lug] Fry's now *permanently* shutting down

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Feb 24 08:41:26 PST 2021

Hi Aaron and other LUGers,

Well I haven't been to Fry's in a long time except for the online store
which
I thought looked empty, that is of things for sale of any interest to
me.  Seems
to me that they were in competition with places like Best Buy.

     When I was able to get to the stores in Santa Clara and Palo Alto
years ago
it was an electronic wonderland.  Toys I could not afford, not and buy
Zorro cards
for my Amiga A2000b.   I used to go there at every opportunity though.

     Sorry to see them go.

On 2/24/21 7:58 AM, aaronco36 wrote:
> Quoting the top section of today's http://frys.com/ :
> After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online
> resource for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores,
> Fry's Electronics, Inc. (Fry's or Company), has made the difficult
> decision to shut down its operations and close its business
> permanently as a result of changes in the retail industry and the
> challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Company will implement
> the shut down through an orderly wind down process that it believes
> will be in the best interests of the Company, its creditors, and other
> stakeholders.
>

> The Company ceased regular operations and began the wind-down process
> on February 24, 2021. It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down
> through this orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional
> liabilities, minimize the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords
> and associates, and maximize the value of the Companys assets for its
> creditors and other stakeholders.
>
> I know folks here have relied upon Fry's in the recent past for our
> computer and electronics supplies, even up to the current state of the
> COVID-19 pandemic :-(
>
> -Aaron
>

> aaronco36 at sdf.org

This was covered on TV news on channel 5 this morning I believe.

     Bobbie Sellers