[sf-lug] SolarWinds attack compromises run-of-the-mill Linux user? (was: sudo problem for users)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 17 02:50:59 PST 2021

Well, first of all, don't want to mix up or confuse what you're
asking about.  The SolarWinds mess, and the big sudo security issue
are for all intents and purposes unrelated.

So, first what you asked:
> Hi, does anyone know if this SolarWinds attack compromises the
> run-of-the-mill Linux user?
"It depends", but in general, no.  That particular supply chain attack
was for a security product used typically by large organizations in
conjunction, at least as best I'm guestimating from what I read/skimmed
much earlier, Microsoft's Active Directory (AD) authentication/security
component - typically used to manage, e.g. logins and access, across
small to huge enterprises.  So, impact typical Linux user, in most
cases no.  However, that doesn't mean it couldn't do so via various
indirect means.  E.g. SolarWinds attack leveraged to gain access to
some other vulnerability, potentially directly or indirectly against
Linux.  Or, could be case of Linux host(s) using AD authentication - as
such can be tied in, e.g. via PAM or LDAP.
But as a general rule, no *direct* impact to Linux, and as for
by other means / indirect ... "it depends" - but not typically.

And, in case you meant to ask about the earlier sudo breach, that would
impact most all Linux hosts, as most Linux distros would have sudo, and
most would typically have sudo installed.  The issue was local privilege
escalation.  Any user/ID having local access, and with the vulnerable sudo
installed - even without permissions to use sudo, but to just run the
sudo binary(/ies), said user/ID could escalate to root - hence a fairly
big deal, and one best to be patched/updated/fixed promptly.  But not
remotely exploitable ... but still pretty serious, especially in regards
to what could be gained locally (root - total control of the host), and
how relatively easily.