[sf-lug] Ubuntu recent iso update.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 15 15:08:04 PST 2021

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> It is likely the wrong graphic driver has been pushed and
> that I can fix this one myself,

If that's the problem, then one workaround is to specify a particular
X server (driver) at the installer kernel's boot command line,
overriding hardware autorecognition.  Often, the VESA driver can work,
for example.  This permits completing initial distro installation to the
target hard drive / SSD, at which point you can use normal distro tools
to fetch the _optimal_ X server package for your video chipset (if it's
been packaged and offered in the repos).

This of course assumes one is installing the distro.  Typically _you_ do
not (in my experience), and instead habitually tire-kicking distros from
'live' mode.  One of the (many) things you lose by habitually doing that
-- and that other people lose by following your example -- is having
little or no opportunity to amend your installation (on account of having
not done any installation).

--
Cheers,   This limerick goes in reverse. If you start from the bottom-most verse
Rick Moen Unless I'm remiss,             This limerick's not any worse.