[sf-lug] some notes on the Virtual Meeting of Sunday 3 January 2021

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Sun Jan 3 18:38:15 PST 2021

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> So if anyone wants to get their two cents in as to how I misunderstood
> the proceeding please do so ASAP.

Will do... albeit in a somewhat scrambled order :-)

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> 1:06 PM I signed off leaving behind Michael P, Akkana P. and
> Aaron C if I have not gotten confused.

Well, I recall signing off ~1/2 hour earlier than 1:06 PM; around 12:30
PM.
Since my webcam ended up being Jitsi-DOA'd, I mostly displayed
screen-loaded websites on Firefox of various meeting participants'
previous mailing-list postings as well as other possibly-relevant webpages
:-\
(Ended up troubleshooting and then finally tossing that dang-blasted
webcam!)

Interjected meeting discussion with my own conversation only about 5-6
times all told.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Topics that were raised included Smart Phones ...
> Akkana brought up the Pixel 4. as a desirable model at a
> low price.

IIRC, at some point during the discussion, Akkana P also mentioned using a
TracFone, and Bobbie S mentioned solely?/primarily? using her own landline
for phone voice conversations.

If I heard this correctly, Victor mentioned that he was using Windows 10,
Oracle Virtualbox and Lubuntu under Virtualbox on a [desktop?] PC with 4
GB of RAM. Victor also mentioned giving a lift to the Richmond District
for both Jim S together with one of Jim's friends, and Victor was
inquiring how Jim is doing now?

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> John pointed out that his IPad will not transmit text
> messages to the Android phone of his son. A problem with
> the messaging protocol is suggested and may offer a solution
> by changing from the sms to mms protocols.

John S also mentioned in his beneficent generosity that he still has
desktop PCs to donate to someone here if they would like/need one.

Continuing on from Victor's availability of only 4 GB of installed RAM on
his PC, I think that two of the top cost factors to upgrading and speeding
up such desktops as John S is donating are...
1) the costs of fully and sufficiently maxing out the fastest appropriate
PC memory up to 8 GB, 16 GB, ...etc.
2) the relatively high costs of purchasing vastly speedier Solid State
Drives (SSD's) that have sufficient disk capacity for current and future
PC computing needs, e.g., 480/500 GB, 1 TB, 1.5 TB, ...etc.

Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> We spent a lot of time talking about Covid-19 vaccines. How long
> it will take before we can once again travel away from our home
> without masks and how long it will be before international travel
> can be resumed. We might have Californians vaccinated by September
> but before international travel can take place the rest of the
> world has be vaccinated as well.

Yeah, I piped in my agreement that those of us Phase 2+ persons who aren't
75 years and older, adults 65 to 74 years with "high-risk medical
conditions" including diabetes and heart disease, frontline healthcare
workers, "essential" workers, police and fire officers, delivery and
livery persons, workers in regular in-person contact with others and
members of the public, politicians(!), wealthier patients, ...etcetera
*probably* aren't going to get vaccinated until Summertime at the very
earliest :-(

There is *highly* relevant discussion of the current COVID-19 situation at
Rick M's conspire mailing-list, under the current pair of threads entitled
'A more-effective face mask as a DIY project' (see [1]) and 'Flubbing the
vaccine rollout (was: A more-effective face mask as a DIY project)' (see
[2]).

Some of the various factors mentioned that will no doubt come into play at
some point are...
- current and future mutations of the COVID19 virus such as the current
mutation spreading through the UK and the US states of Colorado and
California
- ramping-up or alternatively limiting (but Why for the latter??!)
production of the Pfizer, the Moderna, and/or other upcoming forms of the
COVID-19 vaccine
- effective Distribution and Storage of vaccine forms going from the
production locations all along the way to the frontline clinic sites where
the vaccine is actually administered
- current and future costs of reaching out to communities and then
administering to these communities the proscribed doses of vaccine (not
even considering for the moment the related issue of those vocal
anti-vaxxers!)
- <feel free to fill-in other factors I might've missed>

Hope that everyone stays as safe as possible, definitely including Bobbie
S whenever she has to ride a MUNI bus! :-|

-A