[sf-lug] SF-LUG online meeting notes of Sunday December 6, 2020

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Dec 6 23:00:47 PST 2020

Hi LUGers,

     Well this is coming out later than I thought due to real life demands.

     The meeting got underway on time with myself and Alex K. being
first on hand quickly joined by Ken S. and John S.

     We got a visitor, Wayne from Felton-LUG down by Santa Cruz.
That LUG is having online meeting on the First and 3rd Saturdays
on jit.si  We are welcome to join them but their website may have
been taken over from what I found this evening when I went to
look for the meeting times.

     In addition Michael Paoli showed up doing updates, and providing
expert advice.

     Ken S. showed us the results and the packaging of his
new Wifi range extender which provided much clearer voice
and video transmission.  This is plugged into the main
router and it synchronizes with that appliance and it runs
a simple Linux that uses an administrative password which
you can set. It has an Ethernet connection for the router
sync and then is plugged into the wall socket near the
computer's working location.

    Tom showed up and wanted advice which he got too much
of from me and Michael Paoli - He wants to add a larger
capacity SSD boot drive to his laptop.  Advice from
one of us would have been sufficient.  I think he had
an idea or two though and it will be interesting to hear
more from him either at a meeting or in email.

     Akkana Peck called in from New Mexico(I believe)
and mostly observed though she had a few remarks.

     I tried to connect via my E6540 as well but it and
the E7420 share the same URL (I realised this moment) so
I did not get to show off the Mageia I have
running in Virtual Box at the moment.

     At the end of the meeting after a several members
had left, Aaron C. connected but I had problems hearing
his remarks.  Similarly Al W.  came along shortly before
1 PM.  I think Al was having configuration problems.

     Oh and we discussed the possibility of return to
the in person meetings.  Maybe as early as June or July
but I think by August though someone else put it in
September.   The question was raised as to whether
the Cafe Enchante was still in business.  I will try
to find out current status in the next few days.

     I had to eat and left shortly after 1 PM.

     As always I ask the attendees to provide corrections
where my meager understanding has failed to provide clarity
in these notes.

     Happy Holidays and I hope you celebrated the Feast
of St.Nicolas today otherwise a chance to celebrate

     Happy New Year in 2021.  Remember that the next
LUG meeting will be on January 3, 2021 on jit.si
from 11 AM to 1 PM PST with interested parties free
to stick around for as long as they care to do so.

     Bobbie Sellers - “Nearly any fool can use a computer. Many do.”
After all here I am...