[sf-lug] seeking advice re running Windows (on a Linux OS)

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Thu Oct 1 11:31:25 PDT 2020

> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 15:14:27 -0700
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Out of curiosity, if/when your machine's hard drive or SSD fails, do
> you have a means of reinstalling MS-Windows...?

A Windows 10 iso can be easily and legally downloaded from microsoft's website.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You would either burn it to a DVD or use a program to make a bootable USB drive (program depends on your OS).

Due to Windows 10 being offered as "Windows as a service", that installation medium is only good for up to ~12-18 months, at which point you would be forced to do an in-place upgrade as soon as it boots (so might as well download a fresh ISO with the latest release).

FWIW - I +1 Macrium Reflect as a good backup/disk imaging solution for windows.

Unless there is special software or configuration you cannot reproduce, there is little reason to go through the trouble of migrating the windows partition.

Simply do a fresh install using the ISO in the VM and log-into with your microsoft account which will activate it - done.
No longer need to deal with product keys or convincing someone on the phone to let you re-activate.

thanks,
Ian