[sf-lug] seeking advice re running Windows (on a Linux OS)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Sep 30 18:26:17 PDT 2020

tom r lopes writes:
> The Windows key is typically embedded in the bios.
> And so reinstalling Windows will just activate on its own using that key.
> That way you can get an install without the OEM bloat.
>
> Here I found a link to find that key using Linux commands:
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-windows-10-oem-product-key-command/

I did what amounts to the same thing, to use my laptop's
Windows key for a Windows install inside Virtualbox:
https://superuser.com/a/1329935

Rick Moen writes:
> One option:  Unplug its storage drive (SSD or hard drive), put that on a
> shelf with a tag explaing where it came from and what's on it, and plug
> a new SSD into your laptop.  (This could be your chance to upgrade from
> HD to SSD, and maybe increase capacity.)

I did that for a while. But it's a nice SSD and I wanted to use it
for other things, so I finally overwrote it, figuring that if I ever
need Windows on that disk, I can install a stock Win10 image, like I
did for the Virtualbox install.

        ...Akkana