[sf-lug] seeking advice re running Windows (on a Linux OS)

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:49:45 PDT 2020

For the Windows disk failure scenario, I have successfully used
Macrium Reflect to copy a hard disk running Windows to a smaller SSD
over USB (and eventually copied it back, because (that) SSD and an
encrypted file wore something out after 9 months).  The SSD is fine
otherwise, reformatted it and am using it not for my Ubutnu root.
There's a use for an old 200G external disk -- too big to be useless,
too small to be useful, but just right for a Windows backup.  I always
create the DVD "restore" stuff from a new Windows machine, but have
never had to use those, and doubt they would be useful for a full
restore.  Certainly the W7 disks for my Lenovo are useless to me now,
for anything W10.

I have run the vmware convert on a running XP system successfully.
below my notes on the activation "trick".
 and downloaded the VMware converter and ran it on my
system to a USB disk large enough to hold the entire 60G.  The
converted VM image was only 36G, and it worked with vmplayer (under Linux).
Windows let me in once, then it claimed it needed another activation.
Since I was running off a modem, and could not start it up unless I
logged in, I had to select the call option. This option displays a 54
digit installation id which you are asked to read into a machine --
don't waste your time, the number is invalid because it was generated
with a blank product code.  Click on the change product code button at
the bottom of the screen and enter a valid product code instead of the
blanks.  The product code is the 35 character number on the
certificate of authenticity on the bottom of the laptop or on the
installation CD.  A new installation id will be generated, and it
should work for the activation.
Everything I needed worked, the modem was seen, I could connect, update
my virus signatures, and get Microsoft patches.

Ken