[sf-lug] Hardware hack for laptop - Raspberry Pi in the optical slot.

tom r lopes tomrlopes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 02:10:10 PDT 2020

Here is a Pi Zero emulating an IDE drive:
https://hackaday.io/project/20774-netpi-ide

Actually the Pi is attached to a bridge board which if you look closely
here:
https://hackaday.io/project/20774/gallery#ebe580c94305c186198e016d3ce22895
(Pi is screwed down on the right side.)
I suppose you could go SATA to PATA adapter to this?

Seems like retro SCSI is easier:
http://retropc.net/gimons/rascsi/
(in Japanese but readable in Google Translate)
If you scroll down a bit you see that the GPIO can be directly connected to
SCSI
(though warnings about damaging the Pi)

The Pi Zero has "USB gadget mode" so can be USB cdrom:
https://github.com/tjmnmk/gadget_cdrom

Thomas