[sf-lug] Tip: Better to use Chromium/Chrome but up-to-date FF fine too ... for Jitsi

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 7 14:37:37 PDT 2020

First, I just found this useful page in the Jitsi Meet GitHub repo's
associated wiki: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/wiki/Browser-support
ASCII rendition:

---<begin>---

Browser support
(a/o May 3rd)

Assuming latest version of browser.

                           100%      Extra
Browser                    supported details
-------                    --------- -------
Google Chrome              Yes
Chromium (+ Edge Chromium) Yes
Firefox                    No        No simulcast support, excessive CPU usage
Safari MacOS               No
Safari iOS                 No

---<end>---

That appears to be what Michael was looking for.  (The reference to
('Edge Chromium') means later versions of Microsoft Edge built atop the
Chromium Blink engine.  Earlier versions of Microsoft Edge were not.)

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> Jitsi gave me unspecific warnings about how I probably wouldn't get a
> good experience due to the browser I was using.

In the source code:

  "We are afraid your meeting experience isn't going to be that great
  here. We are looking for ways to improve this, but until then please
  try using one of the <a href='{{recommendedBrowserPageLink}}'
  target='_blank'>fully supported browsers</a>.

https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/lang/main-enGB.json

If you get the Jitsi Meet tip-code tarball, you can find the specific
browser versions that warning triggers on.  I found that once on the
Web, but don't have it in front of me right now.