[sf-lug] New Release of Tails and of PartEd Magic

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Aug 25 21:57:24 PDT 2020

Hi LUGers,

     Well a fresh release of Tails out for those of you who want
Anonymity!
NEW • Distribution Release: Tails 4.10 <https://distrowatch.com/10998>

     You can get the new iso file from the Distrowatch site or maybe
you have gotten the fixes and updates by using your package manager.

     Now PartEd Magic is a commercial product, not FOSS so go to
<www.distrowatch.com> to get to the link.  I use this and it solves
some problems when doing a dual-boot install to a Windows machine.
You can subscribe for a year at a time or pay a moderate price for
a one time download.

     You can do everything done safely with PartEd Magic by using the
Windows Partition management system and GPartEd for the Linux
part.   Microsoft now has a disk locking system that requires going
into the Windows side but maybe PEM has found a way to defeat
that.
     I expect that likely everything I talk about can be done with Linux
tools but you have to know exactly what you are doing with the tools
used in terminal.  These GUI programs hide the hard part from us
mostly.

     Hope everyone is holding up under the Covid restrictions.  I keep
playing Angband and forgetting to feed my character until it is dead
from starvation.   Fortunately characters are easy to recover.

     Bobbie Sellers