[sf-lug] Feren Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 4 18:02:20 PDT 2020

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> John Strazzarino writes:
> > As I mentioned on Sunday at the zoom meeting, I am still having
> > trouble trying to find the right keyboard mapping, so that a @ comes
> > out as that character and not a “ character.  Makes it hard to put
> > in an email address.
> >
> > Can anyone assist?  I’ve looked thru all the menus but don’t seem to
> > find. The right spot
>
> As I mentioned at the meeting, this sounds like you have wrong
> keyboard layout. For instance, it's a very common problem on Raspbian
> because the keyboard is configured as en_UK rather than en_US by
> default.
[...]

Ding!

> On Debian derivatives (I don't know if Feren is), one way is
>     sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
> so that might be worth trying. Or you could try
>     setxkbmap us
> (that's also from a Debian page, but might apply to other distros).

     Feren OS is a British-made Linux Distribution that is based on
     Ubuntu, [...]

https://ferenos.weebly.com/

So, yeah, what you said, including the ritual sprinkling with sudo.

'cat /etc/default/keyboard' would be of interest to reveal what the
settings are.  If your guess is correct, XKBLAYOUT is being set to
something other than 'us' (probably to 'gb').

Apparently, Feren Linux is a recently fashionable vanity distro among
the 'desktop Linux' cohort of timid MS-Windows people.  You know, the
people who never change anything after the installer terminates and
expect to not need to learn anything, and want Windows 7 but with the
serial numbers filed off.

https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/feren-os-could-be-best-looking-desktop-market/