[sf-lug] Jit.se meeting notes for today Sunday, August 2, 2020

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 4 01:46:26 PDT 2020

Quoting tom r lopes (tomrlopes at gmail.com):

> Let's invade Zeeland!!!
>
>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeland
>
> I was thinking "Hey there is already a Zeland, New Zealand"  then thought
> where is Old Zealand?
> https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/56233/where-old-zealand

As the article you found explains, the first non-Polynesian to reach the
NZ archipelago was Dutchman Abel Tasman (after whom Tasmania and the
Tasman Sea were named).

I've just figuratively spent five days in Wellington, NZ, as one of the
staff members of the first-ever virtual World Science Fiction
Convention, CoNZealand.  So, NZ is still much on my mind, and it's also
one of my favourite places.  If 2020 had not turned out to be, well,
2020, my wife Deirdre and I would have been just now arriving back from
one of our favourite cities anywhere, Wellington, where CoNZealand would
have been held, had it been an in-person event.

> But Off-topic:  I subscribe to digest mode and sometimes I would like
> to reply to a thread (like right now)  And so I try massage the reply
> email to look like the others in the thread but I end up creating a
> new thread.  So how does Mailman decide what is part of a thread?  Or
> how do I craft an email to join a thread?

Well, first of all, Mailman doesn't mess with that aspect of things (the
headers that control threading).  But that brings me to the bad news:
Digest Mode breaks threading -- and there's really no way to fix that.

This message bears an In-Reply-To header that references your message's
Message-ID header string, and user mail programs (mutt in my case)
can use those to place my reply next to, and in apparent response to,
yours.  However, yours completely severed its own header connection with
the bunch of messages in the digest that preceded your comment.  Your
own In-Reply-To header doesn't point to the Message-ID header of any of
those posts in the digest, only to the separate Message-ID header of the
digest container mail.

I've actually been tempted to disable the Digest Mode functionality,
because IMO it's disruptive for that and other reasons.  (At least _you_
bother to trim quotations when you reply based on a digest.  Most
digest-mode readers don't bother.  Point for you.)  Anyway, I leave it
available because some subscribers really like it.  As the Brits like to
say, 'Horses for courses.'